In Our Residence
Our hospice residence offers 24-hour state-of-the-art palliative care provided by specially trained medical care staff and volunteers. Our residence is an inviting and home-like space where families can visit freely without the worry of day-to-day care.
The palliative care team includes nurses, physicians, personal support workers, counsellors, and wellness program staff along with trained volunteers. Addressing each person’s unique needs, programs and services are offered at no charge and are available irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, religion, race, ethnicity or economic status.
Each of the 10 private suites includes:
- Large windows that allow plenty of natural light and overlook a park-like setting
- Sitting area with sofa and reclining sleeper chair for loved ones who wish to stay overnight
- Accessible washroom
- Private balcony
- Two televisions
- Custom cabinetry with built-in fridge, wardrobe and plenty of personal storage
- Customized lighting – lights are located at the head of the bed so residents can independently control their preferred level of light
- In-suite climate control – allowing those in the room to choose their preferred temperature
- State-of-the-art medical bed with custom air mattress
- Call-bell system on the wall beside the bed and in the washroom. Pendants or wristbands are also available for each resident.
Additional spaces in our hospice-home include a spa for relaxation and bathing, family gathering spaces, a wellness centre for complementary therapies and esthetics, resource library, fully equipped kitchen for family use, meeting rooms and a peaceful outdoor patio.
Did you know that St. Joseph’s Hospice is one of the few LEED Gold certified environmentally-friendly facilities in London, Ontario?
Our commitment to ecological sustainability underpins our green building design based on the national LEED® standards – Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
A few of the unique elements of Hospice include:
- Green roof adjacent to our terrace off of the Great Room
- Use of reflective concrete
- Collection of rainwater in a 30,000-litre cistern for re-use in toilet flushing
- Dual flush toilets to maximize water efficiency
- Controlled flow water faucets and shower heads
- Use of the latest indoor air quality and comfort standards
- Controlled use of chemicals and pollutants
- Green housekeeping
- Exceptional water conservation
In addition to providing excellent end-of-life care for residents, we also offer supportive care services for caregivers and family members from the moment their loved one arrives at Hospice. Loved ones can access programs and services such as:
Debbie, one of the kind and caring nurses, welcomed our family with a big hug – it was like having a second family. I set up the chair bed within the beautiful suite and became a permanent fixture for five weeks. It felt like you were home. From the nurses to the housekeeper, all of the staff couldn’t have been more kind to our family. Whenever you called, they were there immediately. Judy, Brad’s Mother