Join Our Team
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! Consider using your skills and experience to make a real difference in the lives of people with palliative illnesses and their loved ones. Join us as we help individuals live fully in comfort and with dignity while providing support for families, friends, and caregivers. St. Joseph’s Hospice is currently seeking candidate(s) to fill the following position(s):
DIRECTOR, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
St. Joseph’s Hospice is a charitable organization providing compassionate care and companionship to palliative clients, their caregivers, and the bereaved, recognizing their unique needs. With a history and tradition of respectful, holistic patient-centred care, St. Joseph’s Hospice believes that everyone matters for every single moment of their life, and so we focus on enhancing life when cure is no longer an option.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Community Engagement & Development brings a depth of experience through a full scope of fundraising, from strategy development to identification of prospective donors, and cultivation through to solicitation and stewardship. The Director provides strategic vision and leadership in developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive community engagement and development program that includes all fundraising (major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, social media engagement, and special events), and marketing and communications activities for Hospice.
The role provides leadership to a team of four professional staff in major and annual giving, special events, database management, research, donor relations and marketing, communications and design.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Is the organization’s Chief Development Officer.
- With an annual revenue goal of $1.4 million, leads all fundraising activities including major gifts program, annual giving, hospice signature events, third-party events, in memoriam giving, and any other solicitations.
- Leads all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations.
- Bolsters the developing in memoriam giving program.
- Develops a comprehensive planned-giving program as the need becomes appropriate.
- Works with the Major Gifts Committee to develop strategies to initiate and meet aggressive fundraising goals.
- Assumes responsibility for all Development reports to the Board and other agencies.
- Assists the Board with recommending and researching potential new members.
Development Office Infrastructure
- Creates office systems to support all Development projects and operations.
- Supervises donor gift acknowledgement and gift record-keeping.
- Coordinates development research activities.
- Oversees the management of databases and all records, files, and gift processing as it relates to the work of the development, events and communications functions.
- Works closely with the Fundraising Events Coordinator to ensure all St. Joseph’s Hospice signature events are executed according to plan.
- Ensures that revenue targets are met through event activity.
- Supports key volunteer event committees as necessary.
- Determines 3rd party event activity in consultation with the Fundraising Events Coordinator and supports the organizers of these events as appropriate.
- Attends all Hospice Signature Events to build relationships with attendees.
- Works with a core group of volunteers to assist with fundraising, special events and other programs as needed.
Design, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
- Works closely with the Executive Director to strategize and determine communications, marketing and public relations goals for the whole organization.
- Develops and implements strategies to promote hospice’s mission to both the internal constituencies and the community at large.
- Works closely with the Marketing and Design Coordinator to create and implement a communication and promotional work plan.
- Oversees the production of all major publications, including the event marketing materials, quarterly e-newsletters, the Annual Report, stewardship reports, website, etc.
- Ensures social media vehicles are fed and updated regularly.
Educational Requirements, Training and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years’ professional and progressive fundraising experience at the Major Gift level.
- Has had a minimum of 3 years’ experience leading a fundraising team of professionals.
- Graduation from an accredited university.
- Proven experience in designing and managing development programs.
- Experience with developing and maintaining outstanding working relationships with donors, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Personal transportation required.
- Results driven, proactive & able to lead a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Problem-solving attitude.
- Flexible, change-embracing in rapidly evolving work and market environment.
- Ability to multi-task on multiple projects at once.
- Ability to relate to and work with a wide variety of stakeholders.
To apply to this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Coordinator
St. Joseph’s Hospice is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates, who embrace our core values, and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the selection process. Please liaise with HR to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. All information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.