Join Our Team
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
St. Joseph’s Hospice is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates, who embrace our core values, and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the selection process. Please liaise with HR to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. All information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We are currently recruiting for the role of:
Role Overview: St. Joseph’s Hospice is seeking a dynamic, detail- and results-oriented individual who is a creative, strategic, big-picture thinker, who has a passion for helping others.
With the direction of the Director of Community Engagement & Development, the Development Officer works closely with the Community Engagement & Development team and Volunteer Event Committees.
This position is responsible for the logistics, planning and financial management of Hospice’s events portfolio, including community-based and signature events. They are responsible for event planning, production and implementation, volunteer management and development of new event opportunities.
The Development Officer will have the responsibility of implementing the Mid-Level Giving Program. The key function of this position is to engage and inspire giving ($500-$5,000) through identified strategies in the annual business plan. This includes Individuals, Foundations, Employee Giving Programs (ECCO), family, and staff campaigns.
Inherent in the job is the flexibility to work overtime during evenings and weekends when necessary.
Signature and Community Events
• Together with the Director is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the events portfolio and executes on multi-year deliverables.
• Responsible for the planning, budgeting, implementation and success of Hospice’s annual signature events: Handbags for Hospice and Hike for Hospice.
• Develops, implements and leads the community event strategy to grow the community event portfolio.
• Provides lead day-of-event support and works with committee volunteers to successfully execute events for Hospice.
• In collaboration with the Director, Community Engagement & Development, develops strategies and conducts personal visits/contacts to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward mid-level donors at St. Joseph Hospice ($500-$5,000), with a focus on Individuals, Foundations, Employee Giving (ECCO) groups including staff and family campaigns.
• Provides monthly updates to the Director of key activity, maintains donor database (Donor Perfect) with timely and accurate notes to reflect progress of proposals and ongoing strategies.
• The incumbent is an accountable team player who embraces and consistently enacts organizational values of respect, caring, integrity and partnership, supported by being authentic and accountable to themselves and the team.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Minimum 3-5 years paid development experience with a successful track record in developing & executing revenue-generating events and donations.
• Post-secondary degree in a related field or equivalent experience
• Proven track record of leveraging opportunities and leading & motivating volunteers to increase revenue for existing events and drive revenue for new events.
• Comprehensive understanding of budgeting and accounting principles.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and apply sound judgment when dealing with donors and volunteers.
• Detail-oriented with a strong creative bent.
• Strong management skills with team player orientation.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, superior organizational skills and strict attention to detail, ability to work under deadline.
• Strong technological skills – Microsoft Office, and a solid knowledge of database management.
• Go-to-it personality with a positive outlook and high energy.
• Flexible schedule to meet the demands of the position.
• Valid Ontario Driver’s License
• Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
• Critical thinking and decision-making
• Conflict management
Deadline to Apply: Friday, October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to:
Fran Doig, Human Resources Coordinator